In six easy steps:
1. Scout locations in Davis for one that has a reasonable view of the southern sky.
2. Go out at 2:45 am and take 20 15-second exposures, plus 8 darkframe exposures.
3. Use dcraw
to process raw frames, subtracting the average darkframe noise from each.
4. Align and correct lens errors in Hugin
, saving just the remapped images.
5. Process images using SciPy
to decrease noise, remove light pollution, and improve saturation.
6. Do some quick color adjustments in the Gimp
, save and upload. :)